Pages

Friday, February 22, 2013

Sweet Reminders

Written by Erin

True Confession. I was a little bummed last week when I read Laura and Kelly's sweet nothings about their husbands, both whom I adore and are quite worthy of their doting. I want a partner and a teammate. Seeing a good marriage in action should point us toward our highest Love, but it doesn't negate the longing for a person in the flesh to do life with.

Normally, I don't get too consumed with Valentine's Day because I think if you're married, every day should be Valentine's Day.  Loving and cherishing someone isn't just a one-day event each year. It is a commitment all the days of your life after you say "I Do".  I'm probably idealistic, but I don't care. My husband better get ready. He's got a lot to live up to. To all my potential suitors, don't freak out. I'll give you a lot of grace:)  All humor aside, I understand marriage is not always flowers and romance and sweet nothings. Reality is, it's hard. But in the highs and lows and the "hard but good", deep security and joy permeate.

One of the blessings and greatest gifts of the single life is the ability to pick up and visit friends whenever I want. I kind of love that gift. No, I really love it. I love to travel and I have the freedom to do it in this season of life. It is quite possible I will one day have to give up some of my galavanting, but until I get a ball and chain (I say that lovingly, I promise), I am free to love on those near and far as time permits. God has given me friendships that span my lifetime and I am so grateful for each of them. I pray for a rich, full, and honoring single life and praise be to God that He has seen fit to answer that prayer in unimaginable ways.

I spent last weekend with long-time friends in Knoxville, Tennessee.  We go back to weekend nights at College Suites during our college days where dance parties and memory-making shenanigans reigned supreme. Carrie, Melissa, Sarah, and Rachel are four women that make me laugh the hardest. I never want to leave them because they make me feel alive. I live a little more fully with them around. Driving away from Knoxville, in the midst of a beautiful snowfall, God reminded me that He deeply loves me. He knows me and He's provided exactly what I need for this season of life. He is withholding no good thing. He will love me lavishly if or until that ball and chain comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment