Pages

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Refurbish

Written by Kelly

Today I am back with another furniture refurbish tutorial.  I love getting old pieces of furniture from family members to make a part of our home.  To me there is something so special about the history of a piece and the way it can bring someone to mind just by its presence in your home.  This dresser was in the bedroom of two of my aunts when they were growing up.  I am sure there are lots of stories it could share.



I have moved the dresser around our home to suit various needs.  Currently, I have decided to use it as a buffet in our dining room.  We have a lot of wood furniture in this room so I wanted to paint the dresser a different color to give some pop amidst the darker tones.  

I followed Centsational Girl's "How to Paint Furniture" tutorial.  It walked me perfectly through the process step by step.  I began by sanding the dresser a little bit just to rough it up some so the primer would adhere to the wood.    


I used my favorite primer oil-based Zinsser Cover Stain.  It worked like a champ!

After the primer dried, I was ready to tackle painting. Kate's secret painting tool is a product called Floetrol.


Floetrol is a paint conditioner that you add to your paint.  It helps minimize brush strokes and roller marks.  Another must have tool is a high quality angled paint brush.


I used Benjamin Moore paint in Great Barrington Green.  This is a color Edie used in her kitchen aka my dream kitchen.  I am obsessed with Edie and her house so I love having one of her colors in my home.


As recommended, I painted two coats on the dresser waiting 4 hours between each coat and then waited 24 hours for it to dry completely.


The last step that Kate recommended was a water based protectant.  This helps your furniture hold up to everyday use.  A little goes a long way.

I also spruced up the hardware on the dresser.  The pulls were pretty rusty so I used Rust-oleum Metallic spray paint in Vintage Copper to give the pulls new life.




Here it is all refurbished.  I love it!


No comments:

Post a Comment