Pages

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Regular Maintenance

written by Laura


So, I told mentioned in my last post that I was trying something new and out of my comfort zone. I'm ready to spill the beans. 

For the last 3 weeks I have not used shampoo or conditioner on my hair! 




Crazy right?! 

Yes, I thought so too! 

I got the idea from Pinterest. (I know, shocker!) It started out as something to try just to see if I could do it and if it would work with my hair. I have only used baking soda and vinegar on my hair for the last three weeks. 

I just pictured one of those homemade volcanoes sitting on my head, but I assure you it is nothing like that. 

Now, before you write me off as too granola, and stop reading right here, let me give you a little insight on me. 

I was once detained and questioned in a foreign airport about the amount of personal care/toiletry/makeup products in my luggage. I couldn't understand what they were so fired up about, but they just kept pointing at my makeup bag. They finally eeked out the English words, "to sell?" 

Yes, they thought my personal stash of cosmetics was inventory for some black market makeup ring. Hubby was dying laughing and made a comment something along the lines of, "how do you say 'high maintenance' in Russian?" I shot him what he calls a "death look" for that one. 

So, I am definitely not what you would call low maintenance, but I argue that I am just regular maintenance. 

Regardless, not the type of girl that you would expect to be rubbing baking soda on her head in lieu of traditional shampoo and conditioner.




But, I love it! It has a shampoo-like result for me and I like that I am not putting so many chemicals onto my hair and skin. And, baking soda is pretty close to free, so it's a win-win in my book.

The nitty-gritty (literally) is that I typically use just baking soda on my hair every 3 days, but about once a week will use it with vinegar, or just vinegar. I just wet my hair and make a little paste of baking soda and water in my hand (about the size of a half dollar) and slather it on really close to my scalp. Then just wait a minute or so and rinse it out. Easy peasy!

Ok, now for some disclaimers. 

I do have relatively "easy" hair. I have never needed lots of products or tons of tools to make my hair work. Or maybe I did need them, but I don't typically use them. I can't remember the last time I blow-dried my hair. Probably more than a year ago. I do use a straightener and/or a curling iron about twice a week. 

I have been "training" my hair for years to go longer in between washings. I can typically go 3-4 days without washing it. This makes life so much easier and cuts down on my getting ready time. 

The actual experience of washing your hair with baking soda is not quite like an Herbal Essences commercial. Imagine rubbing sandpaper on your head. Or trying to get wet sand out of your hair at the beach. It's more like that. Now, I bet you're really eager to run and try this, right? I have gotten used to this by now, but if you are really averse to textures it may take longer.

Try it and let me know if it works for you. I am especially interested to know if it works on color-treated hair.

It scares me a little to "out" this in public. 

For the record, I am still shaving under my arms. 

If I ever go that far over the edge, please sit me down and have an intervention. I'm serious.



1 comment:

  1. I laughed so hard when I read the part about you being detained for your large amount of products!! Thanks for sharing friend! ;)

    ReplyDelete