Pages

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Reality Bites

written by Erin

It's Tuesday and I have $33.50 left of my $50.00 food budget. $33.50 to last me until Saturday. I don't know if I can do it. I had a fairly social weekend watching March Madness and I realized that much of the almost $18.00 I spent on Saturday and Sunday was on eating out and beer. I texted Laura on Sunday to ask her if I could have a few more dollars and she said, "No, I guess that means no more beer for you!" I was a little bitter at her response, but I got over it fairly quickly. It became apparent I was going to have to tighten my spending to make my goal. 

Yesterday, I was mindful of the fact I couldn't spend money on food because I have a lunch and a dinner scheduled for later in the week and I need to have cash for those commitments. I came home for lunch and dinner yesterday and I'm trying to stretch things farther as well as be more creative with what I've already got on hand. Canned tuna, sweet potatoes, black beans, and rice. Got any ideas on how to creatively use those ingredients to whip up something tasty?! I'm serious about suggestions. I need help.

It's amazing what choices I'm willing to make when I have a goal in front of me that seems attainable. I usually get overwhelmed with the thought of budgeting because it seems so beyond me. I also relate spreadsheets and receipts to budgeting and I kind of don't like to deal with either of those things. Ever. Laura challenged me to make a small, manageable change and I'm really encouraged because I think I can actually achieve the mark set before me. 

I used a coupon to grab a Starbucks Carmel Macchiato today. I relished a yummy treat and it was FREE. That's a win for a girl whose got $33.50 left in her food budget. I will make it work. I'm determined.







1 comment:

  1. Get some cilantro and grill some chicken to go with that rice and black beans. Top with shredded cheese. Have you got something you can season the chicken with?

    ReplyDelete