Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Favorite Things: Winter Wardrobe

written by Laura



#1 Tall Boots





These boots are a favorite of mine because they are gorgeous and amazing, but also because of the story behind them. 

I had been living overseas with my hubby and little guy and had to come back to the U.S. very suddenly and under very traumatic/tragic circumstances. I packed in an emotional frenzy and without knowing that the U.S. was our final destination so you can probably imagine the random assortment of things that I brought, and things that I left that I needed. For example, in the outerwear category, I had only packed fur-lined boots and a knee length down coat. Neither of which you EVER need in South Carolina. 

So, my sweet Mama stepped up (knowing that I love shopping) and took me in a jet-lagged, culture shocked, grieving stupor to get some things that I could actually wear that wouldn't be a personal sauna, including an outfit to wear to a memorial service for a friend 3 days after the wheels of our plane touched down on American soil. 

I saw these boots that day, and fell in love. They were more than I would usually spend on shoes. I get most of my shoes from Target and these were at Rack Room (I know, big spender! ha!), but my Mom bought them for me for "Christmas" but gave them to me that day! I still love them and wear them at least once a week and am reminded of an act of kindness, generosity and love (in caramel-colored leather form) at a time when I needed it most. 



#2 Coat




I found this coat last fall at Forever21 (I lovingly call it Forever31). I got it on the clearance rack when all clearance was an extra 50% off. 


So, originally it was $37, marked down to $18.50 on clearance, but wait for it... extra 50% off that... grand total $9.25!!! I snatched that coat up so fast! And I  talked other customers around me into buying it (should've gotten a commission check, I "sold" 3 of them). I am that random person likes to make conversation when I am shopping, and I would love to be a stylist, so they were  pretty much goners!



I had also picked up a bracelet on that trip which was marked for $5, but I refused to buy it when the coat was only $9. It would just mess with my good deal mojo! :) 

I love this coat because the deep purple color goes with everything and I feel like it really pulls an outfit together because of the structure and the fact that it has a built-in belt  Remember things are only a good deal if you actually love it and wear it. I have to remind myself of this occasionally. 


#3 Jewelry





Ok, so I cheated a little on this one. I couldn't pick just one favorite. I LOVE jewelry and have always been an "earrings" girl, but I think I am ever so slowly being won over by team necklace. Why can't you be both, you ask? Well, because most all jewelry I like and wear is B-I-G. I try to like those dainty petite little pieces, but put me in front of a wall of jewelry and 9 times out of 10 I will go for the piece that is most likely to give me future back problems from it's weight. Southern girl problems?









No comments:

Post a Comment